A few days ago there was an interesting R based article by diffuseprior on the decline and fall in the quality of The Simpsons
This seemed a candidate for a Shiny App, as there are another gross of shows on GEOS. 24 follows a similar pattern to ‘The Simpsons’ although this well-defined decline is by no means universal
. Although using this app multiplies the quantity of charts available, its automation precludes some of the difficult-to-accomplish, data munging done in the original post e.g excluding specials. This will cause some distortion
I have adapted diffuseprior’s code in a few respects
- I used the the readHTMLTable from the XML package as the data is contained in a tabular form
- I used ggplot for the graph rather than base plot. This took a bit more work but enabled me to display visually the relative number of voters for each episode of a show
- It is now available as a Shiny App , covering 145 shows, with any new GEOS votes incorporated in real-time
The code is available as a gist 5498431
- Analyzing Local Data with a Shiny Web App A great. recent enhancement for the Shiny App is the ability to upload local files. Now, in addition to users being able to interact with data provided on the host...
- Shiny Server – Earthshattering News As you probably know, I am one of the strongest proponents of the Shiny package for developing interactive web applications Amongst the latest news from RStudio is that what was...
- Shiny is the new Cool Several of you will probably have tried out the new Shiny package brought to the table by the RStudio guys This is just what I have been looking for and...